Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Here's a few cool effects !

So, I've been playing around with some of my photos. Here's a few cool effects (some subtle, some more drastic/playful)..

1. Here's my daughter Cassandra , all too serious on the left...I wanted to add a little smile to her face... see the edited new version on the right... subtle but yet still noticeable.

2. My step dad makes beautiful handmade violins, each one taking over six months to be complete (carving, gluing, drying, varnishing, curing, etc.) ... and by the way, he tests his violins for another few months after...so, technically it can take a year before his violin gets into the hands of his/her lucky purchaser! In this photo, I wanted to make the violin stand out, it was competing for attention with the statue, clearly, the statue is the "prop" to lean the violin against, it's not the center piece of the photo! So, with some photoshopping "light" effect, I made it stand out a bit more. I'm sure there's more I could do to it but for now, the spotlight effect seems to make the violin stand out a bit more.3. Here's another subtle but cool effect... my poker hands! This is the hands of my husband and his best buddy from NY (twins seperated at birth I tell ya!! lol). This is not a vignette effect but a all around darkening of the edges.
4. Lastly, I played around with my own self-portrait. I personally prefer a more natural look but I understand that some people like the contrasty more edgy look, therefore, I decided to step out of my comfort zone a little bit and "play"... here's the result...the picture on the left is my retouched portrait and the one on the right is the contrasty/edgy look. You'll notice that the image on the right looks sharper then the left and this is because of the various processing steps that I've done to it, it makes the one image on the left look more soft when in fact, it's nicely sharpened.

That's it for today folks! I got some learning to do and errands to run! :) Till tomorrow....

P.s. don't forget to post a comment, I'd love to hear from you!!

No comments: